Friday, November 07, 2008

Florence & Venice

My Renaissance Marathon continued in Florence and Venice. The bus driver “accidentally” dropped me off on the hill outside of the old town of Florence, which turned out to be a magical experience. The walk down to the hill was a therapeutically break from the endless paintings and statues; it was cool, refreshing and extremely calm. Half way down at hill, I saw a view of the red roofed Florence, in the mist of light rain, dreamful indeed. I had taken the opportunity to image myself as an ancient young artist hiking in the tights and bubble shorts, with a sword on my waist, walking towards to a risky exciting future. Until I see the giant greenish copy of David dominating at the center of the Piazza Michelangelo ahead of me, while Japanese tourists were giggling and running back forwards snapping away their memories.

Venice looks exactly like all the postcards I’ve seen in my life. Everything is within the expectation, the bridges, the shops, the boats and the overpricing. I like to get lost in Venice, that’s generally how surprises were discovered. I spotted a tiny red lantern instantly from the far distance among all the flashy signs on a small street from the Piazza San Marco. A hidden Chinese restaurant seems like in the deepest dead-ended lane in the whole universe, by universe, I mean pizzas. At the 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I was the only one in the restaurant, enjoying an egg roll and the fighting between two Cantonese waitresses.


Sean said...


Anonymous said...

I like the views from Venice. This is fantastic. But nowadays San Marco is covered with water. I saw on tv.

Tyson Williams said...

I like the shot from Venice. I was there for a few day last month and it is a magical city to explore. Getting lost at night time is even more fun than during the day. At night the city seems to be empty in many areas. Florence got a different vibe altogether.

sexy said...