Sunday, October 05, 2008

Memphis lecture and leisure weekend

I was invited by the University of Memphis Photography Society to give a lecture and a workshop this weekend. My lecture on Friday night had a fantastic group of audiences from the university Department of art and the Photography Society. The lecture started with a brief introduction, I then presented the Almost Naked series followed with a Q&A session filled with a lot of very interesting questions. Raleigh Rodger, the president of the Photo Society hosted a reception for me in her beautiful house, at there I made many new friends.

The workshop on Saturday was very interactive. The MFA photo students and advanced undergraduate photo students presented their projects; I decide to have the workshop emphasizes on the conceptual development of the project rather than the critique on the individual images. I loved many work presented in the workshop, some are very inspirational. We also had discussion on some other subjects such as portfolio and gallery. I received great responses from the students after the workshop; it is heartwarming for me to know that the students appreciated the class. I have in fact learned so much from them as well.

Memphis is a very characteristic city. I spent some leisure time in the hip Midtown area and a very happening downtown. I visited Memphis briefly many years ago and it seems like the downtown area has change a lot, except the same old soulful Beale Street. Did I mention the delicious southern food? I left NYC without much sleep because of the jet lag, the trip started with a delayed flight, but the rest of the trip turned out to be a blast. I just want to thank everyone in the lecture and workshop to give me a wonderful time in Memphis, especially Raleigh, Pixy and Chase, thank you guys for bringing me around. It was a wonderful experience!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

HI!

I met you Friday night at Raleigh's house and really enjoyed talking with you! I wish you hadn't been so jet lagged, we could have gone out! Anyways, you lecture was very interesting and it was great meeting you.

Lea Alexander said...

Hi! It was really great meeting you and hearing all of your wonderful advice! Thanks!

Lea