Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The It City.

Yet another book about Shanghai, that is Greg Gigard’s Phantom Shanghai, published by Magenta Publishing for the Arts. I have been blab about the Shanghai mania in photography. After all, Shanghai is one of the fast growing cities in the world if not the fastest. The interesting architectures and the changing of the city structure have drawn many western photographers to the city. As a native Shanghainese, I have not taken much photographs of my hometown, but I am thinking about it now from a different perspective.

That being said, when I go back visit China next time, the place I really urge to visit and photograph is the city of Chongqing in Sichuan Province, the fourth municipality after Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin in China. Ever since I watched Wong Kar Wai’s Chongqing Express and Gong Li’s Zhou Yu’s Train, I totally fall in love with Chongqing. I call it the gray city with its muted palette, fog, austerity and a rare sense of metropolitan intimacy.

Here are a few photographs of Chongqing by Sze Tsung Leong.



Speaking of Wong Kar Wai, is this one of most beautiful movie trailers or what?

1 comment:

jane said...

Have you seen 2046 by Wong Kar Wai? Though, I am more partial to In the Mood for Love and Cheung King, 2046 has a lot of great cinematography. Plus, the soundtrack is always a plus~