Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chicago and etc.


Photo: Chicago, 02/18/07, by Shen Wei

I had a wonderfully cold celebration of Chinese New Year and my birthday (yes, I was born on Chinese New Year) in Chicago last week. I love Chicago, one of my favorite cities of all time (except the winter). It was freezing but I still managed to see some great exhibitions.

The Art Institute of Chicago is just amazing, I especially love their Impressionism painting collections and the Japanese 17th Century prints collections. The current photography exhibition is titled Far from Home: Photography, Travel, and Inspiration, showing work by Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Irving Penn, Joel Sternfeld and so on. At the Museum of Contemporary Photography, is three floors of photographs of sex, including Robert Heinecken’s Sex and Food, Larry Sultan’s The Valley and Misty Keasler’s Love Hotels. It was satisfotofacion!


Photo: Thomas Holton

While I was warming up myself at the Barnes & Noble, I have flipped an Aperture magazine and there is a whole session of Thomas Holton’s The Lams of Ludlow Street series (WOW), Thomas’ work is getting widely recognized and did I mention he is also a SVA alum. Also, Amy Elkin’s portfolio in Eyemazing is quite impressive as well, GO SVA!

Photo: Daniel Traub

On Monday (2/19/07), Jen Bekman has announced winners of Winter 07 Hey, Hot Shot! The winners are Holly Andres, Colin Blakely, Jeffrey Krolick, Juho Kuva, Molly Landreth (SVA Alum!!), Brad Moore, Kirby Pilcher, Ben Roberts, Mickey Smith, Ka-Man Tse. The great work come out of this now internationally well-known competition are just very inspiring. Also I found Honorable Mention-ed Daniel Traub’s (Update: Traub is SVA Alum,too!) photographs about modern China are quite unique, the most honest I've seen. The Showcase of the HHS 07 Winter will be held on Wednesday, March 7, from 6–8pm at Jen Bekman Gallery, 6 Spring St, NYC.

2 comments:

Ms. Jen Bekman said...

Shen, I am jealous of your Chicago trip, cold and all.

Thomas Holton makes gorgeous work. It's really fantastic. Thanks for posting a photo of his and reminding me about him. (And of course thanks for the nice words about the competition, I am excited about this round too!)

Most importantly: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY birthday, and New Year. May the year of the Golden Pig be prosperous and full of great things for everyone.

Joerg Colberg said...

Happy Birthday!